fat 32 has a file limit size of 4GB, his image can be over 30GB
My apologies, I thought you were making an image, Im not sure how big backtracker is.
Last edited by Brooklyn567; 31 May 2013 at 20:49. Reason: correction
Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows 8
WarningDeleting the Recovery Partition is NOT RECOMMENDED
the install.wim is broken up in to files less then 2.5gb.
I know I'm late to the party, but here goes:
Windows 8.1 on my daughter's Asus S56CB laptop crashed. I, too, got the "Insert Recovery Media" request when trying to run recovery from the recovery partition, although there was no other installation/recovery media included in the box.
- On another computer, I downloaded the Windows 8.1 installation ISO (not OEM) from Microsoft and burned to DVD.
- I booted the laptop, pressed F9, selected ‘Troubleshoot’ and then ‘Reset your PC’.
- When it prompted "Insert Recovery Media" I inserted the freshly burned Windows 8.1 DVD.
- Recovery continued as hoped, and the computer was done, up and running in less than an hour.
- Though the ISO was not OEM, there was no asking for Windows licence key, and everything looked the same as when it was new.
I downloaded the Windows 8.1 installation ISO from Microsoft at this link:
Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help
Neither the ASUS user manual nor their support pages were much help at all, and online forums were largely confusing. I finally ended up fixing it by trial and error, and after about five hours my daughter and her laptop were playing happily again. This is almost 2 years after this thread originally started, and I certainly hope Yanniclord got his problem sorted long ago, but I leave this here in case anyone else is looking for a possible simple solution to the same issue.