Update: The problem appears to be a security/compatibility issue.
1. Create a new Excel spreadsheet in Windows 7 using MS Office 2010
2. Open it in either Windows 7 or 8. Then click: File > Check for Issues > Click: Inspect Docment.
3. As a result of the inpsection, the following identical problems are shown in both Windows 7 & 8.
Nore: Compatibility is green ticked to show no issues.
4. With this information left intact the document can be printed in Windows 7 but not in Windows 8.
5. In Windows 8, when attempting to print it, no error message comes up. However, it shows the document queued to be printed, in: Control Panel > Deskjet Printer > See what's printing. However, after 4 or 5 seconds, the item disappears from the queue.
6. If the data is removed completely, the document prints OK in Windows 8.
As I have large numbers of such Excel files I will have to manually change every one of them to print successfully on Windows 8; and this is impractical.
I tried to talk to Microsoft Australia by phone but they said if the job was sent to the printer and was queued, there was nothing wrong in W8, and would not discuss it any further.
Does anyone know how I can get in touch with Microsoft to report the problem in full detail to them?