Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Reflected light maps Earth's vegetation

  1. #1

    Posts : 21,860
    64-bit Windows 10

    Reflected light maps Earth's vegetation

    Though 75 percent of the planet is a relatively unchanging ocean of blue, the remaining 25 percent of Earth's surface is a dynamic green.

    (Credit: NASA/NOAA) New satellite imagery from the NASA/NOAA Suomi NPP satellite shows the lush green vegetation covering our planet -- along with the changes in geography and climate as the landscape transitions into sparse growth and rock; or hot, dry, barren deserts.

    The Visible and Infrared Imaging and Radiometer Suite (VIIRS) sensor, which is sensitive to different types of visible and near-infrared light, collected data from April 2012 through April 2013, allowing NOAA to create what it's calling a "vegetation index" identifying how much of the sun's energy is absorbed by plant life on Earth and how much is reflected back into space.
    Read more at:

    Reflected light maps Earth's vegetation | Cutting Edge - CNET News

    Farmland straddles the Platte River - NOAA maps our lush, green Earth (pictures) - CNET News

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2

    Remote Sensing is very useful and interesting. As a geologist I use such techniques a lot.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Aerial view in Maps app are old
The Maps app that is on the start screen shows an aerial view of my neighborhood that is at least three years old. It says copyright 2014 but it is obvious the image is very old. This is a new computer updated to Win 8.1. Does the app need updating? Pretty disappointing.
Software and Apps
What on earth is this?
Alright, well my dad has been in computer business for over 25 years, and usually he can fix anything that goes wrong with my pc but he said he's never seen anything like this before. Could someone tell me what the hell this is, and how to fix it. 22340 Thanks :D
General Support
MS comes down to earth .... maybe
Acer Chairman J.T. Wang ... now Microsoft "go down to earth and they start to learn how people living on earth think" after " in heaven." Let's hope he is right . I am not convinced after hearing what Miss Julie said - seems more like lip service to me. Acer: Windows 8.1 will see Microsoft...
Chillout Room
No Maps in Maps App
The Maps App looks strange on my PC since there is no map. Perhaps there is something about my system specs that would explain it:
Software and Apps
I have a Maps icon on the desktop. It states that I am located in Cordele, GA. I have never been there in my life. How do I change it to my home?
Software and Apps
messaging, maps, ahhhhhhhhhh
since we updated from w8 CR to W8 RP we got problems with this app, also we can't reset the blocked permission location setup in maps, what a mesh....:mad:
Software and Apps

Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook