Prime95 download site: GIMPS - Free Prime95 software downloads - PrimeNet
- extract the contents of the zip file to a location of your choice
- double click on the executable file
- select "Just stress testing"
- select the "Blend" test. If you've already run MemTest overnight please run the "Small FFTs" test instead. (run all 3 if you find a problem and note how long it takes to error out with each)
- "Number of torture test threads to run" should equal the number of CPU's times 2 (if you're using hyperthreading).
The easiest way to figure this out is to go to Task Manager...Performance tab - and see the number of boxes under CPU Usage History
Then run the test for 6 to 24 hours - or until you get errors (whichever comes first)
Monitor the CPU temperature and DON'T let it exceed 85șC. If it does, then you probably have a CPU cooling problem.
- CPU temps exceeding 60șC can cause errors in Prime95. Fix the cooling solution first, then run Prime95 again.
This won't necessarily crash the system - but check the output in the test window for errors.
The Test selection box and the stress.txt file describes what components that the program stresses.
Errors should be considered when:
- the system BSOD's during Prime95
- the system freezes during Prime95 (this is different than the extreme slowness caused by the program using all your RAM and CPU)
- the Prime95 program crashes
- the Prime95 program shows errors in it's display
- there are errors in the Prime95 results file
More details on the use of this test: Torture test your CPU with Prime95