Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

New PC Build, crashing/hangs in W8.1 and W7

  1. #11

    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts : 21
    Windows 8.1 64bit

    I ran both tests

    RAM test 9 passes no errors

    Prime95 SmallFFT passed the tests that were run

    Attachment 31742

    (only ran for 3hrs because I have to leave home for now and didn't want to leave the stress test running while I'm not around)

    Also Windows Updates had downloaded while I was running the stress test, and I just shut down the computer to leave home and the updates tried to install then the computer froze again (not BSOD). Go Figure.

    Thanks for all your help again

    edit: Just to be clear, I am still experiencing all the same problems, is there another step in this process or a provisional diagnosis of the issue at this time?
    Last edited by bananaking; 15 Nov 2013 at 07:52.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12

    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts : 21
    Windows 8.1 64bit

    Hi guys, still having the same issues (namely random hangs + consistent hangs/BSOd when windows updates are installing).
    Does the history of the problem/attempted fixes/diagnostic test results/data point towards particular issues that I can go on from here (e.g. faulty specific hardware parts)?

    I would like to be able to get some form of a short list of what could be wrong. If you guys think it's a specific piece of hardware I could bring it into the store I bought it from for replacement. Have been trying to sort this out for close to 10 days now

    All help is appreciated as always, cheers
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13

    Sorry for the delayed response mate. Somehow, almost forgot about your thread .

    Both memory test and CPU stress test looks clean so it is very difficult to find what part is causing the issue. Please check whether there is an update available to the SSD firmware by running "Samsung Magician" software.

    Samsung Magician software :

    How to update firmware : How to Upgrade Samsung SSD Firmware | - Storage Reviews

    Latest firmware for 840 EVO :

    Also i recommend resetting all connectors inside the system. That is disconnect and reconnect all cables, remove and reinsert all PCI peripheral cards and memory modules from it' s slot etc. A contact issue in PCI or memory slot can cause rogue blue screens.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14

    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts : 21
    Windows 8.1 64bit

    Good to have you back Anshad

    I had already updated the SSD to latest firmware a few days ago. Just did a double check and it's up to date.

    Disconnected/Reconnected all the cables and PCI cards etc.

    Just had a hang while trying to install the latest GPU drivers, it hung during installation of .Net Framework 4.5 (via the catalyst manager)

    I then tried to restore to the restore point I made just before attempting to install the latest GPU drivers and got a BSOD during the restore process (clock interrupt was not received on secondary processor etc.)

    What's next

    edit: also within the last 15minutes without doing much I have been getting hangs, maybe 2-5mins into logging onto the user. Have to restart each time

    edit2: yep looks like all the same problems are persisting if not maybe a little more unstable. getting more hangs, might either be from Samsung Magician or that I changed the resolution from 800x600 to 1920x1080... Subjectively more unstable though, hard to if that's a true observation
    Last edited by bananaking; 17 Nov 2013 at 04:06.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    There is a virtual device seems to have driver issues according to the last system information report.

    Security Processor Loader Driver	ROOT\LEGACY_SPLDR\0000	This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.
    A little research shows this driver is related to "Video" and can cause freeze issues.

    Security Processor loader Driver - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Please try the below steps.

    1. Uninstall the device from "Device Manager".

    2. Remove currently installed display driver in the proper way.

    How-To Uninstall AMD Catalyst Drivers From A Windows Based System

    3. Update the display driver to the latest.

    If that also can't fix the issue, i would recommend getting the RAM replaced from the store.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16

    Here is the official memory compatibility list for your MoBo model.

    ASRock > 970 Pro3 R2.0
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17

    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts : 21
    Windows 8.1 64bit

    Thank you so much for all your help Anshad.

    The computer appeared to be a little more stable once i uninstalled the display drivers and installed the beta display drivers. Unfortunately the issues with windows updates persistent (i.e. it crashes or hangs during installing downloaded updates).

    Do you have any theories as to why that is? You suggested trying to buy new RAM that is on the mobo compatibility list, would the incompatible RAM be the cause of consistent hangs (and occasional BSOD) during windows update installations?

    edit: I'd just like to know the rationale behind why you think it's a particular piece of hardware (i.e. ram) as opposed to another (i.e. mobo). It would be nice understand why I should go and buy a replacement. Unfortunately the place I bought the RAM from will not replace it for me if it's just a compatibility issue. They would replace parts if they were faulty though
    Last edited by bananaking; 17 Nov 2013 at 09:13.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Sorry for the confusion. I won't suggest buying a replacement part unless i am sure it is faulty. What i meant is, try to get the RAM replaced with another model from the shop (if possible). Since they are not ready to do that, replace the current RAM under warranty. My primary suspicion is either a bad RAM (60% chance) or a bad motherboard (40%) . What we do at work is directly replacing suspected parts to find the bad one but that is not possible in remote assistance .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19

    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts : 21
    Windows 8.1 64bit

    So would you think the the issue with the RAM would be compatibility or some defect? Or is that hard to differentiate?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Yes, it is hard to differentiate. Your memory model is not listed on the qualified vendors list but that doesn't means it won't work with your MoBo. Usually it should work if timing values are entered correctly in the BIOS. Please rerun the "Speccy" and post a new snapshot. I need to verify the timing values are correct before proceeding to replace the RAM.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
New PC Build, crashing/hangs in W8.1 and W7

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Update Hangs..
Hey guys, I have had this problem for about two weeks after doing a clean install of Windows 8.1, I've never had this problem before however whenever I try to check for updates it just hangs on 'Checking for Updates...' the longest I've kept it on was for about 2-3 hours and still the same thing,...
Windows Updates & Activation
New build all games crashing ?
Please remove, I posted a better explanation. Thank you.
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
IE11 always hangs
Hi I have W8.1 and IE11 always hangs after about 1 hour, all tabs do not respond and the top of the page says Internet Explorer (not Responding). I can leave it for a couple of hours and nothing happens, when I right click on the IE on the taskbar and select close window an error message...
Browsers & Mail
New build keeps crashing when waking from sleep...
So I have searched for answers, updated drivers the best I can and disabled certain things (such as setting the SSD to never sleep) yet I still have intermittent problems when waking my new build from sleep overnight. I find it simply wakes and the network connection icon says disconnected and...
General Support
The build up to Microsoft's Build 2013
Read more at: The build up to Microsoft's Build 2013 | ZDNet
Windows 8 News
Windows Update hangs
Hi! My Win8 box is not quite 2wks old, so I'm a true newbie with the OS. I've tried searching for other threads on Windows Update failure, but haven't seen any referencing the formal release (eg, non-beta) date version. If I missed something, I apologize! Anyhow, I've yet been able to get...
Windows Updates & Activation
The system is crashing while working again and again. SF is crashing..
Ths system crashed 4 times, during the last hour. Unclear why.. even SF is crashing while collecting windows update information. Attached info collected earlier today. Info from SF crashing: ************* Exception Text **************
BSOD Crashes and Debugging

Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook