Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Mail App Crashing on Startup

  1. #1


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8

    Mail App Crashing on Startup


    Hello all,

    I did a clean install of Windows 8 RTM (Enterprise Evaluation) a couple days ago and configured the Mail app for my standard emails (Exchange, Gmail, Live). However, starting on day one (which I believe happened after the reset from installing my the latest NVIDIA drivers), the Mail app will crash at startup. When clicking on the icon, it'll attempt to open, then immediately go back to the start screen. Sometimes, normally immediately after a restart, it'll work, but then it'll start crashing again when I try to load it back up later.

    I did try uninstalling the Mail, People, Messaging app and reinstalling, but that didn't fix the issue. Anyone have any ideas?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by VDubb View Post
    Hello all,

    I did a clean install of Windows 8 RTM (Enterprise Evaluation) a couple days ago and configured the Mail app for my standard emails (Exchange, Gmail, Live). However, starting on day one (which I believe happened after the reset from installing my the latest NVIDIA drivers), the Mail app will crash at startup. When clicking on the icon, it'll attempt to open, then immediately go back to the start screen. Sometimes, normally immediately after a restart, it'll work, but then it'll start crashing again when I try to load it back up later.

    I did try uninstalling the Mail, People, Messaging app and reinstalling, but that didn't fix the issue. Anyone have any ideas?

    I'm having the very same problem.
    I am getting notifications to show they new mail is coming in, but if I try to launch the application at all, it crashes right back to the start screen. A broken Mail application in the RTM is not a good start.

    Here are some details I got from the Event Log in the hope someone can point us in the right direction.

    Fault bucket , type 0Event Name: WWAJSE
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0


    Problem signature:
    P1: microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_16.4.4206.722_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    P2: Microsoft.WindowsLive.Mail
    P3: f19a
    P4: 8
    P5: ms-appx://microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps/ModernMail/Components/ReadingPane/PrintHandler.js
    P6: 1_2985
    P7:
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:


    Attached files:
    C:\Users\User1\AppData\Local\Packages\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\Temp\Erro rInfo.1744.2436.txt


    These files may be available here:




    Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report ID: 3b56a4be-eafa-11e1-be6a-0021704d6176
    Report Status: 262160
    Hashed bucket:

    App microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.WindowsLive.Mail did not launch within its allotted time.
    The program LiveComm.exe version 16.4.4206.722 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel. Process ID: a18
    Start Time: 01cd7f061a7d8ba4
    Termination Time: 4294967295
    Application Path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_16.4.4206.722_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\LiveComm.exe
    Report Id: 43d7dc02-eafa-11e1-be6a-0021704d6176
    Faulting package full name: microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_16.4.4206.722_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Faulting package-relative application ID: Microsoft.WindowsLive.Mail

    I'm not really sure what to try next. The mail app working fine for the first day, then when I clicked on a new mail notification from the Desktop on the 2nd day, I haven't been able to open the App since.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Earth
    Posts : 106
    Windows 7 Home Premuim x64 & Windows 8 Enterprise RTM x64


    Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Mail app.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by eXcite View Post
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Mail app.
    Thanks, have tried that but to no avail.

    My issue is the same as the OP's. I can launch the mail app if I do it quickly after a reboot, but after a minute or so I can no longer load it again. It just crashes back out to the Start screen with those errors in the Eventlog.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec




  5. #5


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8


    I have the crashing anytime I click on a new email for the first time or change folders.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8


    Did anybody ever get a resolution to this? I'm running Windows 8 RTM, and have tried the usual things (reinstall, reboot, and so forth), but the app refuses to run. This is *not good* with an RTM OS and the supposedly-final version of the Mail app.

    The other suggestions that sometimes come up (refresh OS, use a local account, etc.) seem like band-aids rather than actual solutions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8


    Mine still isn't working. You would think if they would have tested and tested again before RTM and even picked it up when they saw people were having issues and put out a fix. I would surely hope that it's fixed by launch or they are going to be grilled.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8


    Okay, thanks. I just put in a one-star review for the official mail app. There aren't any other options available, either. I hope, for their sake, that they get it all straightened out before it goes into wide release, or they're going to have another Vista on their hands.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8


    Just found something interesting that seems to fix the problem, at least for me. I had Raptr running. If that's running, it'll prevent Mail from running. Turned it off, and Mail works beautifully.

    I found the solution here: Mail App fails to launch. I hope this helps someone else.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by wskidm View Post
    Did anybody ever get a resolution to this? I'm running Windows 8 RTM, and have tried the usual things (reinstall, reboot, and so forth), but the app refuses to run. This is *not good* with an RTM OS and the supposedly-final version of the Mail app.

    The other suggestions that sometimes come up (refresh OS, use a local account, etc.) seem like band-aids rather than actual solutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtgarrison85 View Post
    Mine still isn't working. You would think if they would have tested and tested again before RTM and even picked it up when they saw people were having issues and put out a fix. I would surely hope that it's fixed by launch or they are going to be grilled.
    Yeah I eventually tracked the problem down to Raptr in the end.
    Spent a couple of hours trying to trace it, including a system reset.

    I originally posted about it here:
    Store Downloaded Windows 8 UI Apps Crash with .NET 3.5 installed

    The reason I could open the problematic Metro apps after a reboot was because Raptr hadn't fully loaded and logged in on the Desktop side of things.
    I contacted Raptr about it but their official response is the Windows 8 is not on the supported list of Operating Systems.

    I suspect the in-game overlay feature they have as part of their app could be indirect cause of it, but that's just speculation at best.

    The apps that were affected for me when Raptr is running are Mail, Photo and Reader. Reader will load but if you try to open an PDF it'll crash back to the Start screen.


    If you are not running Raptr then I suspect some other desktop app that loads on startup could be causing the issue.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mail App Crashing on Startup
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Startup Options - Choose a Default OS to Run at Startup in Windows 8 Tutorials
Solved Crashing & can't update BSOD Crashes and Debugging
EF app crashing on iPod 3rd Gen Site Stuff
Solitaire Crashing Software and Apps
Blend 4 Crashing Software and Apps
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook